My husband and I love trying new things, especially when it comes to food. He is also not a fan of grocery shopping… like, at all. Our neighbor told us about this local business that is a hybrid between a produce stand-grocery store-CSA. They put together bags of locally available fruits vegetables and locally sourced meats and you simply pick it up! It’s such a simple solution to a lot of our grocery store gripes, but it also lets us support small and local farms and butcher shops. Win-win!
However, a lot of the time we get an excess of fruits or vegetable that we’re not sure what we want to do with, or something we wouldn’t typically buy at the grocery store, this week being carrots. I love carrots, don’t get me wrong. But my preferred method of consumption is raw dipped in ranch, which I can only eat so much of. But, my husband likes them cooked so I figured I would give it a go!
He requested the carrots be cooked with onions, and I was making bruschetta chicken, so I thought balsamic would be a great compliment to our meal!
The carrots we had were all different sized and shapes, so cutting them evenly was a challenge. I would recommend if you have the option to just get baby carrots, but we were working with what we had!
This is a super yummy and easy side dish to really any dinner. Two things I would change when I make this dish again: use baby carrots and add some fresh herbs – possibly rosemary!
<description=”A simple and delicious side dish to any weeknight dinner”>
- 4 cups carrots (baby or chopped small)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepepr
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Chop the carrots into a manageable size and place into baking dish (no chopping necessary if using baby carrots)
- Chop the onion and add to baking dish along with carrots
- Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Mix balsamic vinegar with brown sugar, dissolving any large chunks of sugar
- Pour balsamic brown sugar mixture over the carrots and onions and toss to coat
- Bake for 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally to coat
- Serve immediately